Monday, June 13, 2011

Scarlett's Birthday

I can’t believe it, but Scarlett is already one month old today. In honor of this special occasion, I’m going to share with you what happened and my thoughts from that amazing day.

It all started Thursday, May 12th.  I had volunteered to be in a little skit for Relief Society about visiting teaching. I, appropriately, played the part of the very pregnant mother who needed the help of her visiting teachers. I had been having practically undetectable contractions throughout the day, but nothing to write home about. At about 6:00 I was walking down to the church when I got a call from my sister Carrie and her husband Jason. Carrie was pretty sure that she was in labor and they were on their way to the hospital.
After my Oscar-worthy performance, I left the church to walk home with three friends from the ward (all pregnant, too!). In the small amount of time I was at the activity, my sweet nephew Jude was born in Indiana. From the time I got the call that my sister was on her way to the hospital, the day just had a special feeling to it, and I knew that I would be meeting my little girl very soon.
Scarlett's "twin" cousin Jude Lloyd
Well, sure enough, I went into labor that night. Jonny got home from work just after 1:00 AM, which is right about the time that I knew for sure the time was here. I labored through the night at home and at about 8:00 AM, May 13th, we headed for the hospital.  When we got up to the labor/delivery floor, Jonny picked up the phone at the security door and said, “Hi… uh, yeah… we, uh… we’re here to have a baby.” I got checked in triage and was dilated to a six.
One of my last pregnant pics!
The nurse informed me that I would be in their best room, and I believe it. Two of the four walls were all windows. It was a beautiful, sunny day and we had the most amazing view of the snow-capped mountains and the blossoming tulips outside. A little while after getting situated, I got an epidural and Jonny and I were able to finally relax a bit.
An empty bed waiting for a special girl
At about 3:30 PM, I was fully dilated and started to push. I loved this part! It was so calm and exciting. At 4:19 PM, Scarlett Reese made her debut. I was immediately surprised at how big she was. My midwives were always concerned that she wasn’t growing and that I wasn’t getting big enough (which is weird because I gained 37 lbs), but Scarlett weighed 7 lbs 15 oz!

Unfortunately, things weren’t able to stay calm for the next little bit. Scarlett wasn’t breathing very well so after a quick kiss from me and a swift cord cutting from daddy, she was taken to her bassinet to get her stomach suctioned out. After that, she let out some big wails and I got to hold my baby girl again.
The next hour was sort of a blur as my midwives, Erica and Marci, and a surgeon stitched me up and tried to stop the bleeding. This was the only part of the day that truly felt and looked like Friday the 13th. After getting fixed up, Jonny went with Scarlett to the nursery and I was moved down to the post-partum floor where we stayed until Sunday.

Scarlett has been a sweetheart and a beauty from the moment she was born. All the doctors and nurses kept telling me how beautiful she was. I’m SURE they don’t tell everyone that! Haha. She is truly the apple of her parent’s eyes, and we feel so blessed that she is here safe, sound, and perfect. 

4 comments:

Allison Barker said...

She's sooo beautiful! and Jude is too!

Karen said...

I love reading birth stories. you will love having the memories as well!!! She is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her. Congrats again.

Carrie said...

I love this. I'm crying just little.

I want to see that beautiful girl and get these sweet cousins together. I think they must miss each other...I'm just remembering what you said about Jude coming first so Scarlett wouldn't have to be nervous...

Crying a little again.

Love you.

Unknown said...

I love that you mentioned Jonny's awkward phone call when you got to the labor/delivery door. I was the same way...I'm like, "uh, I'm having my baby...can I come in??"

She is BEAUTIFUL!!