Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Grown-Ups Say the Darndest Things

    When I was a little girl, I assumed that when children grew up and turned into adults they would magically become responsible, smart, and tactful. I was wrong. I don't mean that people can't change. Most hyperactive children eventually settle down. A shy child will eventually come out of his or her shell.

   Unfortunately, this isn't always the case. Often times the "know-it-all" kid becomes a "know-it-all" adult. Bullies keep picking on those weaker than themselves. Mean girls still passive-aggressively think they rule the World.

   Let me go back to the issue of tact, though. Working with different ages of elementary students for over three years, I have realized that kids don't have any tact, and it is hilarious. They have no problem pointing out zits on your face. They will not hesitate to tell you your hair looked better before you died it dark and now you look "weird". When such phrases come out of the mouth of a 5-10 year-old, you obviously cannot take offense. The kindergartener who points to you when your 8 1/2 pregnant and says to her sister, "Whoa! She's fat," doesn't mean any harm. He or she is just pointing out facts.

   Small children can get away with these things. People in their 20's, 30's, 40's and beyond...can't (until you're old and senile). Let me share with you a few brief anecdotes from my pregnancy that illustrate this.

(20something-year-old acquaintance): How far along are you?
(Me): Oh, I'm about 23 weeks.
(Her): Oh my gosh, you are soooooo small. Is there something WRONG with your baby?
(Me- already paranoid about everything that could be wrong): Uh, no. She's actually measuring right on schedule (thank-you-very-much)

(300 lb+ aide at my school as a walk my class down the hall to art): Wow! Someone is REALLY starting to waddle. You are huge!
(Me): (insert fake smile and chuckle) My midwife is actually a little worried that I'm not big enough, but uh... thanks?

(Same 300+ lb-er): Four more weeks!!
(Me): Actually, six.
(Her): No, I'm pretty sure it's four.
(Me): No, I'm pretty sure it's six.
(Her): Oh, they changed your due date.
(Me): No, they didn't.
(Her): Yeah, you used to be due the first week of May.
(Me): No, I've always been due May, 17th
(Her): Hmmm.... (looking at me like I'm one who doesn't know what she's talking about!)

Last one
(Co-worker): Oh, your baby is so cute!!
(Me): Thanks! I sure think so.
(Her): So, what did you end up naming her?
(Me): Scarlett
(Her- smile falling, voice changes to one of disgust): Ugh. Where in the World did you come up with That?!
(Me): Well... we just really like it I guess. What are your children's names?
(Her): ___________, ____________, and _____________ (I can't remember, but insert super crazy Utah names that involve 3 different syllables from 3 different names and you'll be close.

Maybe Bill Cosby needs to start a show for them. Somehow I don't think the ratings will be good.

No post is complete without some pictures of our cute girl, so enjoy.
After our friend Landon's wedding. Stay tuned for a better pic of her dress. It's darling. 

"Swimming" in the shade at Seven Peaks

Looking at the lights. Her fave. 

Definitely not "Failure to Thrive". This girl loves to eat.

IMAG0197.jpg
Pretty girl. We still need to capture her great gummy smile!

9 comments:

Allison Barker said...

SOOO dang cute. I can't wait to meet her. Let's video chat asap, so I can at least "virtually" meet her.

HatchMe said...

People never cease to amaze me with comments.....my favorite is that I have a 13 year old step-daughter....so people at church that don't know our story...."So....how old is lauren" (me) "13"....."and you...'re....?" (me) 30....."So....um...." (me)"....well she is actually my step-daughter..."....."oh....whew...I was like...how did that work"....
if I was her birth mother....um...how offended would I be, as her step-mother....still a little offended!

Karen said...

Yeah...I got a ton of "you're so tiny" remarks when I was pregnant but luckily no one was ever mean to me. People really don't think before they speak sometimes.

Team Jensen said...

Kids lately seem to have more tact than adults I run into. I'm getting the regular comments that consist of, "you have 3 months left! Are you having twins!? You're so big! Three months, really!? That's going to be one BIG baby!" UGH! I KNOW I'm HUGE...I would LOVE to have someone think I'm tiny for once.

The Falkers said...

She is beautiful and you are so darling! Loved this post and I LOVE the picts!! :-)

Unknown said...

People are seriously so dumb, I can't even believe it.

And Scarlett is such an adorable little chunky monkey!

Sydney said...

Ha I've had some bad foot in mouth moments like this. Like when kai and karlee were saying they liked the name Boston and I said " don't name your kid Boston everybody is naming their kid Boston right now." ...oops.

Scarlett is a chunk! You did a good job of growing her, i knew everything would be fine. Excited to see you guys!

Michelle said...

Tracie Pie this is hilarious! Oh my goodness, people crack me up. I think you are extremely tactful in how you respond...sometimes I'm not and a sassy side of me wants to come out!

THanks for the laughs! Love love love!

*LaUrA* said...

I was pregnant while at ISU attending classes. I was 8 months...still a month to go. When I walked into one class a fellow classmate not so quietly says "Whoa she is going to explode any minute". I did not take offense though...as I did indeed look like I had reached maximum capacity and felt like I was going to explode...but now that I think of it...what a jerk!